ACRS is the best value registration service with a 1-year registration costing $42 and a 3-year registration costing $94.
All cabling work, including telephone, data, fire and security alarm systems cabling, that connects or is intended to connect with the telecommunications network must be performed by a registered cabler, or under the direct supervision of a registered cabler. All registered cablers are required to undertake appropriate training modules to ensure that they are competent to perform the cabling work according to the Wiring Rules, which ensure safety to consumers, cablers and the network.
How to become a registered cabler
To become a registered cabler you will need to undertake the requisite training course for the type of cabling registration that you are seeking – Open or Restricted registration. The relevant work experience & OHS/WHS requirement.
Pathways to ACMA – Cabling Provider Rules
Work Experience Requirements
For an Open Registration, you will need 360 hours of work experience Restricted Registration you will need 80 hours work experience.
Supply one of the following to cover the work experience requirement:
- An experience statement signed by a Registered Cabler or
- A copy of your Electrical Licence or
- A statutory declaration detailing your experience
To apply please Print and fully complete the ACRS Application form and send along with the following:
- A copy of the Official Statement of attainment issued by an RTO
- OHS/WHS requirement.
- Evidence of your experience (see above)
Send all documents to ACRS via email or mail.
Mail: 122 Hume Highway
Chullora NSW 2190
- Open – permits you to do any telecommunications customer cabling installation, maintenance or repair work in a commercial, industrial or residential application that doesn’t involve specialised cabling, i.e. Structured (Cat 5/6/7 etc), Optical-fibre, or Coax cabling. To work on any of these specialised cabling types, you will need the corresponding competency (see below), or under the direct supervision of an Open Registered Cabler who has the applicable competencies.
- Restricted – permits any telecommunications customer cabling installation, maintenance or repair work in the residential (home or small office) that doesn’t involve specialised cabling, i.e. Structured (Cat 5/6/7 etc), Optical-fibre, or Co-axial cabling. In a residential application, these specialised cabling works can be performed with a Broadband competency, or performed under the direct supervision of an Open Registered Cabler who has the applicable competencies.
- Lift – permits any telecommunications customer cabling installation, maintenance or repair work in relation to lifts.
- Structured Cabling
- Optical Fibre cabling
- Coaxial Cabling
- Underground Cabling
- Aerial Cabling
To add additional competencies to an existing registration please send a copy of your training certificates to ACRS.
Renewing or updating your cabling registration
You can renew online or send your renewal form via email firstname.lastname@example.org or mail: 122 Hume Highway, Chullora NSW 2190 with your payment and any additional documents to be added to your registration.
If you have any questions or require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the ACRS office on 1300 667 771.